No Warnings and notice
This name, already known in the early middle ages, referred to “farm-like” property (massa); Albe means ”city on high ground” (W.Cianciusi). Only in the 17th century did the town centre of Massa (later called Massa D’Albe) begin to acquire importance, when it became the meeting point for all the “towns” (including Albe), which were once subject to Albe. The “public Council” of the university of Massa decided, from then onwards, that all that regarded the public life of the surrounding hamlets, which often rebelled against the taxation imposed by the Massa inhabitants, just as the inhabitants of Castelnuovo (today under the domain of Avezzano), who, several times, reacted to the hegemony of the administrative centre by threatening to “set fire to the Wigs of Massa”. With the abolition of feudalism, Massa d'Albe consolidated its leading role, yet it lost the ancient privilege of the Trade Fair of St. Pelino, which was taken away in 1811 by Avezzano. More importantly in the past, however, was the function of Albe (the former Alba Fucens), which at the time of the Angevins was a fief in itself, it distinguished itself from those of Tagliacozzo and Celano, despite the fact that it was presumably destroyed by Charles I of Anjou immediately after the battle against Conrad of Swabia in 1268.
Subsequently Albe passed under royal domain and in 1343 Albe was bequeathed by King Robert to his niece Maria of Durazzo. It was in this very moment in which the Benedictines started to lose most of their influence on the Marsica area, so much so that already in the first decade of the 14th century the church and the convent of St. Peter d'Albe no longer belonged to them and they were entrusted to the Conventuals. Once the royal domain returned following the death of Maria (1366), immediately afterwards it passed under the control of Joanna of Durazzo, married with Robert of Artois. After the battle for succession between Ladislaus and Louis II of Anjou, the fiefs of Celano, Manoppello and Albe were granted to Louis of Savoy, an Angevin partisan, who was also nominated Viceroy of Abruzzo and governor of L’Aquila.
In 1405 Albe was subject to Queen Margaret herself, who granted the fief to the Colonna family, then the royal domain was immediately restored. Once Queen Joannna II, sister of Ladislaus, took the throne of Naples, the county was once again transferred to the Colonna family, remaining together with the fief of Celano. Upon the death of Joanna II however, another war of succession broke out, during which the county of Albe fell to the hands of Giacomo Caldora, who received the fief in 1436 following the privilege granted by Queen Isabella. It was in these early years of the 15th century that Albe claims its right to the almost Episcopalian jurisdiction over all the surrounding “towns”, and therefore over that of Massa Superiore (or Corona), Massa Inferiore (the future Massa d'Albe), Forme, Antrosano, Castelnuovo and St. Pelino.
In 1440 due to the events of the war of succession, the fief of Celano was assigned to Leonello Acclozamora and, in 1411, that of Albe to Giovanni Antonio Orsini. Immediately afterwards, however, this latter fief returned to the Royal House, to the extent that in 1457 a certain Francesco Pagano resulted as being Governor of Albe, appointed by Alfonso of Aragon, who simultaneously was also the Governor of Tagliacozzo. From here onwards — although there were several disputes that continued until half way through the 16th century — the affairs of Albe were identified together with those of the Duchy of Tagliacozzo, until both fiefs came to be permanently possessed by the Colonna family. And it was this very moment that the decline of Albe began.
The centre of the municipality as it is known today is the result of the joint reconstruction of two villages which were once separate, Massa and Corona, following the 1915 earthquake they were partially destroyed. During WWII, Massa was the seat of a Nazi SS Command who guarded the German line of defence of Central Italy that crossed its territory and for this reason it was the location of significant partisan activities and it suffered some air raids.
The Church of Our Lady
The Church of Our Lady of Ripoli
Built in a modern style, its interiors have a single nave with a fresco, a statue of the Madonna and Child.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception
Its interiors only have one nave.
The Church of St. Fabriano and St. Sebastian
The tripartite façade is characterised by a monumental rose window and three portals with lunettes, which correspond to the three internal naves. Inside there are some paintings of saints and several stained glass windows.
The Sanctuary of the Our Lady of Lightning (Madonna del Fulmine)
Its interiors contain various paintings of the Madonna with Child.
The Church of St. Peter in Albis
built in a Gothic-Roman style and it is situated in the place in which the temple of Apollo was erected in the ancient Roman city of Alba Fucens. The church was built by reproducing the temple of Apollo in the Paleo-Christian era while the present day building has the shape it was given at the beginning of the 12th century. After the earthquake in 1915, the church, half destroyed, was restored but the works saved from the collapse were transferred to the Museum in Celano.
The Church of Our Lady in Albe
St. Nicholas’ Church
Was an ancient Italic town occupying a lofty location (1,000 m) at the foot of the Monte Velino, Abruzzo, central Italy. Its remains are today in the comune of Massa d'Albe.
Useful Tips: we recommend a visit accompanied by local tour guides
Info: Coop. Alba Fucens, Tel. +39 0863/449642 - E - mail: email@example.com - Website: www.albefucens.info
St. Theodore’s Church
IN THE SURROUNDING AREAS
The Alpine Church
With its chapel in a modern-rural style
5 - 5